We are a stable and growing CRO in beautiful San Diego experiencing some growing pains. We are looking for highly motivated, detail oriented Husbandry/Vivarium Technicians to join our team as contributing members of our research programs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties of the Husbandry/Vivarium Techs are to be carried out with a friendly, enthusiastic, can-do attitude. Must be able to maintain a friendly, positive attitude and a professional demeanor at all times, committed to the pursuit of excellence in areas including customer and vendor relations, Vivarium responsibilities (To assist with the day to day care and maintenance of the Vivarium’s live collections to ensure the welfare of the animals and facilities are maintained according to established departmental policies and procedures) as directed by management.
Although timeliness is essential, it is imperative to understand the importance of maintaining and understanding accurate timelines, accurate supply levels and communicating to Manager and/or Research Staff to successfully execute all the duties and responsibilities of this evolving position.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Daily cleans and maintains Vivarium areas of BTS in such a manner as to provide a clean odor free and low stress environment for the animals to ensure the highest standards of animal welfare, compliant with statutory obligations.
- Reports to department manager and study director any potential health or behavioral problems involving the animals.
- Monitor the operation of rooms, equipment and immediately report faults, concerns or suggestions.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of animal cages, rooms, halls, etc.
- Provides care to animals that are conventionally housed as well as those maintained in specialized housing, such as isolators, ventilated racks, etc.
- Receives animals from suppliers, identify animals as instructed, and issue selected animal species to researchers.
- Prepare special diets in accordance with the principal Study Director’s protocols and administer these diets to the appropriate animals.
- Administer treatments or mediations according to the veterinarian’s orders.
- Acclimatize animals for placement in experimental studies.
- Assist in general recordkeeping as well as specialized monitoring and surveillance programs.
- Feed and water animals as outlined by standard operating procedures or supervisor’s instructions.
- Operate cage washing equipment and other types of cleaning and sanitizing equipment.
- Observe and report changes in the health status or condition of animals.
- Assist in performing technical procedures.
- May collect blood samples and feces, urine, or other types of specimens from animals.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Positive approach and willingness to accept new projects as required.
- Assist in keeping facility neat and free of litter. Sweeps, mops, dust, etc.
Good health and cleanliness is a very important aspect of the services BTS offers its customers therefore, it is important that the housing rooms and their equipment including cages, etc. that are used are always clean and replaced as necessary by maintaining cleanliness and sanitation of animal cages, rooms, halls, etc. which include operating cage washing equipment and other types of cleaning and sanitizing equipment.
Cage Rack Washer Machine
- Runs the equipment as per standard operating procedures.
- Regular washing of cleaning all equipment and rooms.
Cage Rack and Manual Washing when necessary
- Ensure that all rooms and equipment are always clean and in good condition.
KNOWLEDGE AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Commitment to follow through on tasks and deadlines with minimal supervision in a safe manner.
- Must be able to take direction however must successful work independently.
- Must have the ability to solve problems, offer solutions, think logically and have a quick and retentive memory.
- Must have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, respond quickly and efficiently, and keep situations under control, in a fast paced dynamic work environment.
- Must possess a strong sense of urgency.
- Able to understand the internal and external needs and impact of duties and responsibilities.
- Must be a flexible, self-starting and self-managing person.
- Quick turn-around requirements on requests and accuracy and thoroughness is critical.
- Ability to maintain confidential information in a professional manner.
- Constantly observes condition of the property’s interior and exterior and immediately reports and/or initiates actions to correct unsafe and/or unacceptable established conditions.
- Always uses products and/or machines as recommended by the manufacturer’s safety instructions.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & SKILLS
An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following equipment and tools:
- Knows to use protective devices: gloves, goggles, mask, non-skid water safe shoes, etc.
- Maintains awareness of proper safety precautions at all times.
- User-Move Aids: Buckets, Step ladders, full ladders, etc.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and six months experience working with animals is desirable; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience in Vivarium, Veterinary or other animal care setting is desirable but not required. Knowledge of animal handling skills, animal behavior, and animal care are a plus. AALAS as ALAT or higher vet tech certification preferred but not required.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information to co-workers and the general public.
- Requires considerable skill in the application of office methods and procedures.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, lift and/or hear. The employee is consistently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Additionally, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Equipment required: to wear scrubs, lab coat, shoe covers, rubber boots, and gloves, etc. as tasks dictate.
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to be on feet.
- Have constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
- Bend/Stoop/Squat/Kneel Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up debris.
- Climb Stairs Routine duties require access to all levels.
- Push or Pull Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.
- Reach above Shoulder Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment.
- Grasp/Grip/Turning Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs.
- Finger Dexterity Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/repairs.
- Lifting/carrying (supplies, cages, racks, ladders, etc.):
- Over 150 lbs. Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
- 75 – 150 lbs. Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
- 25 – 75 lbs. Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
- 1 – 25 lbs. Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
NOTE: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lbs. is often accomplished with assistance from
one or more persons and while wearing the required, appropriate safety equipment.
- Vision Requirements: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Constant need (66% – 100% of the time) to observe areas needing attention/correction. Read cautionary labels; respond to written instructions.
- Frequent need (66% – 100% of the time) to see things clearly beyond arm’s reach. Observe and assist in general maintenance; observe problems throughout facility.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office and warehouse setting, however some work is also performed outdoors (1% – 10% of the time), all conditions, and at times may be for an extended period of time of the day. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Occasional exposure to (1% – 33% of time) to solvents, dust, etc. Example: mopping floors, dusting, etc.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week), plus benefits as per employee handbook.
Please forward RESUME WITH COVER LETTER, REFERENCES & SALARY HISTORY in a MS Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org